Monday, November 9, 2009

Homework Revisited, Dang Filter!: Thing 23

The beauties of a home network are nigh unfathomable--everywhere and anywhere I wanted to go, I went without risking my employment status.

The one thing I didn't get around to doing was loading a widget into this blog; I thought I would save that for my off period at school, thinking I would have to break the filter barrier again.

But I didn't. You can get to Ning free of Puritan guilt that might strike you when overriding the filter. I was shocked and slightly amused. Perhaps I could find a use for a Ning, like that tutoring thing I mentioned previously. But wouldn't it be even better if I made kids take care of it? Maybe even offer rewards of some sort for being available for tutoring online. Or maybe it could be used for peer editing since I still haven't figured that out on the moodle site. Heck, I haven't figured out how to help them upload their essays into the lovely folders we created there. But someday I will.

So the one thing I spent the most time searching for on Ning was voice threading. Who knew this would be so helpful? After spending way too much time again, I think I might be able to create this for my literary circles--I just need to narrow down the focus a bit. And after a visit from Tonya, who brought me microphones for when I start this endeavor, she emailed me a tutorial link and suggested that we (my students and I) explore this together. Is it lazy, evil, or pure genius then that what began to dawn on me was "why do I have to come up with a focus--make them do it."

I haven't decided yet--maybe it's all three: a lazy evil genius. Doesn't matter, I'm starting to really think I am going to like this project because instead of them doing steps I lay out for them, they will blaze their own trail (with guidance, of course) through Greek literature's most powerful women.

Maybe it will work, maybe not; but I think we will all learn something trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment