Saturday, October 10, 2009

I-M-A-G-E Lightbulb: An Old Joke for Thing 13

That joke used to crack me up as a kid. If you haven't heard it, you ask someone to spell all these words adding "lightbulb" at the end. When they spell "image" and say lightbulb, well, you get the picture. And yes, I've been a word nerd my whole life.

I really enjoyed messing around with these things and wished I had more of my own pictures to run through the image generators that need photographs. So mostly I just used what was available.

First I went to Smiley Generator and messed around with those for awhile. I had just read Rhonda's comment to my rant on usurers, and she says she must just be a hippie at heart, so I made her this:

I made one for me too that reflects my mood this weekend. Funny how when you make these things, they are better if they are sarcastic and obnoxious. Or maybe that's just me.

I moved on then to ImageChef. It was here I was wanting my own photographs as I thought this was pretty cool.
ImageChef.com Poetry Blender.

The poem is a haiku I made up last year and is no reflection on the former or current principal of my school; it was actually just a joke concerning an FR question that month. My sister and I have haiku wars over email sometimes; I told you I was a word nerd. While I was there, I also discovered I could make my own soccer jersey. Cool, I thought. So I made that little number right there. Then I left that site and moved on, wondering exactly what my students would do with these that could be educational, and how much class time they would spend decorating a project instead of putting the flesh on it.

While I was cruising around, I remember a co-worker once sending me a link to a make your own lol cat picture. So I went there and spent much time messing around with that. And this is what became of that little excursion. I did have an awful lot of fun playing around on these various sites, and I could see that they could most definitely make presentations and things more visually interesting. But like most cool things, when you are going to set kids loose on them, you better be prepared to lose the entire class period as they monkey around. These sites, at least in high school, are probably better introduced, and then part of the assignment that should be done at home.


I will probably try to put some of these things on my wiki simply for the experience of trying, but for now, I'm going to stop before I get that same eye-pinching strain like the flickr experience. Where does the time go indeed? And when is a door not a door?

3 comments:

  1. Salinger, thank you for thinking of me and making my beautiful hippy sign. It truly captures my spirit. Moreover, you made me chuckle, and trust me, after another long weekend, locked indoors and staring at the computer screen, I needed a good laugh. Although this sign-making stuff is fairly easy, it still requires time. And I'm not quite sure what to do with it all except add the images to my wiki or blog. Like you, I think it is something that we can introduce to the kids and have them create the product (whatever it is) on their time. Why should we be the only ones locked in our houses on the weekends? Let's make the streets a little safer and keep the kids occupied.

    Here's an irrelevant remark (even though I've criticized those who make irrelevant remarks on several posts now): Why didn't you make your jersey black and white like Newcastle's? Have you disassociated yourself with them? If it makes you feel better, my team Fulham is near the bottom. I might be joining you next year. And for another irrelevant point: Is that Horatio in the picture?

    Back to relevancy... I think the point of this exercise was just to give us options for decorating our pages. And perhaps, by giving us a little break from the intellectually stimulating activities, we are able to focus on our jobs at hand.

    I did think of one educational activity that we could use this for, but you'll have to read my blog to find it. Now, I'm resorting to a low form of extortion to get people to visit my posts. Ah...the glories of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should ask--I did make a Newcastle type jersey first, but the trim was gold and I couldn't change that. NU's trim is light blue, so I designed a jersey that I would use if I owned NUFC; and yes, that is my big old lymphoma riddle kitty. We just gave him a bath and he is curled up by the fire so he doesn't catch cold. Funny what we do for our pets. I'll be heading on over to your blog next to see what ideas you had, then I'll probably steal them. Mwahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. what does I-M-A-G-E light bulb mean

    ReplyDelete