Saturday, October 31, 2009

Needs Must Have: Thing 19

There is a verb structure in Japanese that literally translates to "it will not do if I do not [verb]", so when you translate it into regular conversation, it amounts to "I must [verb]. That is how I feel about voicethread--it will not do if I do not have this.

My journey, at first, was confusing--I like the structure of the Venn Diagram heart thing with the kids on the side with their voices popping up in word bubbles, but the Industrial Revolution one doesn't have this feature--it is one guy, and his picture is unable to be seen. I really like the first one--but the more I looked, the more ideas started popping into my head, including, of all the boring things on earth, must have lectures. With so many kids in so many organizations, inevitably someone is out on those days we discuss as a class or I just yammer about something that will really help them with the upcoming assignment.

I want to use this; I need to figure out how to do this and what to do it on. My 3rd 6 weeks in the GT class usually involves some kind of techno driven unit done in literary circles. This year, it's Greeks, and more specifically, Greek women who are stubborn / strong / scary--think Medea, Klytemnestra, and Antigone. It will not do if i do not have . . . arinakereba arimasen. . .

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. Voicethread gives educators a variety of ways (images, videos, text, music, etc.) to reach the diverse population of students, and it offers these same students many methods of conversation in which to discuss topics with their peers (this probably makes no sense at all). I just love the possibility of using it.

    To whet your appetite some more, in skipping ahead to my 7b thing (mostly because I wanted to do something easy this late at night), I came across a slide show titled "17 ways to use Voicethread". The ideas are endless.

    On a completely irrelevant note: why do I keep getting moved further to the end of your followers? Are you trying to tell me something? Or is it because I was your first fan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it means you are my first fan; must be a sign of loyalty to be moved down the list. And I surely am interested in seeing this "17 ways to use voicethread" deal; I signed up for my free educator's account--now I just have to figure out how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. The boss is playing favorites, again! Rhonda's teacher's pet! Rhonda's teacher's pet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda's mom pays me more money to be her friend than your mom pays me to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't be a hater, NM. I can't help it that I'm loveable. And Salinger, there will be a little bonus in your paycheck this week :)

    ReplyDelete